This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Main-Spessart County (Germany)

Kreis Main-Spessart, Unterfranken District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: main-spessart | karlstadt county | lohr county | marktheidenfeld county | oak(leaf) | grapes | wheel | pale(wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Main-Spessart County banner (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 10 Oct 2001
approved 16 December 1974
See also:

Main-Spessart County

White-red-yellow stripes. The seat of the county is Karlstadt. The counties of Karlstadt, Gemünden, Lohr and Marktheidenfeld were amalgamated into the new county Main-Spessart (until 1973 Mittelmain County) under the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.


Stefan Schwoon, 10 Oct 2001

The coat of arms was approved 16 December 1974. The arms combine the two symbols of the States of Mainz (wheel) and Würzburg (Franconian rake) with the Main river, symbolized by a silver (= white) pale wavy (pale) and symbols of the woods (leaf), representing the Spessart forest, and the viticulture (bunch of grapes). The area historically was on the border of Mainz and Würzburg and the bishops of both cities tried to increase their influence in the area. Since 1814 the whole area belongs to Bavaria.
Source: Linder and Olzog 1996.
Santiago Dotor, 29 Jan 2004

Karlstadt County Banner until 1972

[Karlstadt County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 16 Aug 2001
approved 10 December 1963

White-red-yellow with arms.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000,Stadler 1964, p.49
Stefan Schwoon, 16 Aug 2001

The coat of arms was approved on 9 February 1962. The largest part of the county was ruled until 1803 by the Bishops of Würzburg, hence the chief displays the Franconian rake of the Bishopric of Würzburg. The lower part is divided per fess and displays in the sinister half the two red pallets from the arms of the Lords of Trimberg, who owned the Arnstein estate until 1292, when it was acquired by the bishops of Würzburg. The dexter half displays in silver (= white) a red fess, superimposed by three golden (= yellow) embowed pallets from the arms of the Lords of Thüngen, whose ancestral seat had been in the county.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.49
Santiago Dotor, 17 July 2003

Lohr County Banner until 1972

[Lohr County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 16 Aug 2001
approved 18 April 1969

Yellow-red-yellow. Became part of Main-Spessart County under the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1972, p.115
Stefan Schwoon, 16 Aug 2001

The coat of arms was approved in 1969 and displays a silver (= white) pale wavy as a symbol for the Main river and an oak leaf for the Spessart forest in the district. The dexter half displays above the wheel of the Archbishopric of Mainz and below the bars from the arms of the Counts of Reineck. The counts owned several estates in the western parts of the county and around Lohr before 1559.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.115
Santiago Dotor, 18 July 2003

Marktheidenfeld County Banner until 1972

[Marktheidenfeld  County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 17 Aug 2001
approved 18 November 1965

Black-white-blue. The county became part of Main-Spessart county under the 1972 municipal reform, smaller parts went to Miltenberg and Würzburg.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1966, p.101
Stefan Schwoon, 17 Aug 2001

The coat of arms was approved on 18 November 1965. The shield displays the arms of the three main rulers of the area from the Middle Ages until 1803. The cross is the cross of the Teutonic Order, which ruled the area around Stadtprozelten. The Franconian rake is representing the Bishopric of Würzburg. The roses are taken from the arms of the Counts of Wertheim.
Source:Stadler 1966, p.101
Santiago Dotor, 18 July 2003


back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here