This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Reichenau (Germany)

Gemeinde Reichenau, Kreis Konstanz, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: reichenau | bishop | inescutcheon | cross(st.george) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Reichenau banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Nov 2013
approved 7 July 1960 See also:

Municipality of Reichenau

Reichenau Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: spotted on local St. Mark's procession, depicted in this webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Nov 2013

Reichenau Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue shield is a bishop's bust. The bishop wears a silver (= white) garment, a red cloke, a red and silver mitre topped by two golden (= yellow) crosses. He has a golden (= yellow) ring and a silver (= white) crozier. On the sinister chiefpoint is a silver (= white) inescutcheon, divided by a red cross.
Meaning:
The arms were devised in 1895 and confirmed in 1960. The village grew around the abbey on a small island since the early 13th century. Abbey and island since 1450 formed a priory of the Bishops of Konstanz. Their local representatives (Ammänner), which are all known since 1391, used seals with two shields: the dexter one with the cross of the abbey and the other with their proper family arms. This was reflected in the present arms, where a bishop and the St. George's cross of the monastery are combined. St. George is the patron saint of the church of Oberzell, which was finished in the 9th century by Archbishop Hatto III of Mainz.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.87

Banner and coat of arms were approved on 7 July 1960 by minister of interior of Baden-Württemberg, published in GABl 413/1960.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Nov 2013


back to Konstanz cities and municipalities click here