This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Konstanz (Germany)

Stadt Konstanz, Kreis Konstanz, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: konstanz | cross(black) | cross(centred) | cross(off-centred) | chief | blutzagel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Konstanz city armorial flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Apr 2013 See also:

City of Konstanz

Konstanz, 70,000 inhabitants, is located on the westernmost side of Lake Constance (German: Bodensee), which is shared by Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The Oecumenical Council of Konstanz (1414-1418) ended the Great Western Schism (1378-1417) by reestablishing a single Pope in Rome instead of three in Avignon, Pisa and Rome. In 1415, the reformist Czech theologian Jan Hus (1371-1415), although protected by an Imperial safe-conduct, was sentenced to death by the Council of Konstanz and burned at the stake.
Ivan Sache, 10 May 2002

Konstanz City Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 2:3. The white flag is divided by a black, centred cross. At the top is a red stripe.

Konstanz City Other Flag

[Konstanz other city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Apr 2013

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The white flag is divided by a black, centred cross. At the hoist is a red stripe.

Konstanz City Vertical Flag

[Konstanz city vertical flag] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Apr 2013

Description of flag:
The white flag is divided by a black, centred cross. At the hoist is a red stripe.

Konstanz City Banner

[Konstanz city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Apr 2013

Description of banner:
The white flag is divided by a black off-centred cross shifted to the top. At the top is a red stripe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Apr 2013

Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted these flags and banners in the city on 28 September 2003 and 10 June 2004. The existence of flag#1 is confirmed by Neubecker 1939 opposite to p.94

Konstanz Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The silver (= white) shield is divided by a black, centred cross. The shield has a plain, red chief.
Meaning:
Emperor Friedrich II granted privileges to the city in 1212 to Konstanz, which had been a free imperial city from 1237 until 1547. 1548 Konstanz became a part of Austria. The cross is taken from the arms of Konstanz Abbey. The colours are known since 1405. 1417 King Sigismund granted the red chief, the so called "Blutzagel", as a symbol of the ius gladii, the highest level of justice. The pattern was used as a flag at least since 1544.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.60


Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Apr 2013