This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kelheim County (Germany)

Kreis Kelheim, Niederbayern District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: kelheim county | mainburg county | chief | lozengy(white-blue) | roses(3) | per bend | horsehead | hop(blossom) | hop(leaf) | counterchanged |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Kelheim County banner (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon,
approved 31 October 1975
See also:

Kelheim County

Blue-white-blue stripes.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
Stefan Schwoon, 27 Sep 2001

The coat of arms was approved on 14 October 1960 and confirmed on 31 October 1975. The chief shows the arms of the Wittelsbach kin and Bavaria. The area was already part of Bavaria in the 11th century and Kelheim was for a short period the residence of the Wittelsbach kin. The lower dexter part displays the arms of the Counts of Rosenheim, three roses ordered 2:1 in counterchanged colours (blue / silver). A part of the county was, before it became part of Bavaria in the 14th century, ruled by the Lords of Siegenburg and the Lords of Wöhr. The latter were descendants of the Counts of Rosenberg and used the same arms. The lower sinister half shows the divided shield of an important local noble family, the Lords of Abensberg, who died out in 1485.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.50
Santiago Dotor, 5 Dec 2003

Mainburg County Banner until 1972

[Mainburg County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon,
approved 13 August 1959

Blue-white-blue. Incorporated into Kelheim county during the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.59
Stefan Schwoon, 13 July 2001

The coat of arms was approved on 7 July 1958. The horse symbolises the local legends around the Hallertauer grey horse. The hop plant (Latin: humulus lupulus) below is symbolizing the cultivation of hop, which had been of great economical importance in the area.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.59
Santiago Dotor, 18 June 2003


back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here