This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Breitenburg Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Breitenburg, Kreis Steinburg, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: breitenburg subcounty | breitenburg | laegerdorf | muensterdorf | oelixdorf | oak | castle | renaissance palace | gear(half) | fess wavy | waves | crozier | grain(ears;2) | beech | hill |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Amt Breitenburg flag)] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Jun 2006
approved 12 September 1995 See also:

Breitenburg Subcounty (Amt Breitenburg)

Breitenburg Subcounty Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is red - white vertical bicolour. A slightly modified version of the coat of arms - roof white, port and windows red - is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Nov 2012

Breitenburg Subcounty Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pale. On the dexter half is a green, rooted seedling of oak in a silver (= white) field. On the sinister half is a half embattled silver (= white) castle with roof, port and windows black.
Meaning:
Oaks are the most common kind of tree in the area. The castle is symbolizing Breitenburg Palace and is alluding to Johann and Heinrich Rantzau, who built and extended the castle. Red and silver are the colours of the Rantzau family. Nine roots, nine leaves and nine windows are symbolizing the municipalities of the subcounty. Those were /Breitenberg, Breitenburg, Kollmoor, Kronsmoor, Moordiek, Moordorf, Münsterdorf, Oelixdorf/ and /Westermoor/.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.37

The flag was approved on 12 September 1995. The coat of arms was approved on 10 September 1987. The artists are Paul Holtorf and Lothar Leissner from Itzehoe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Nov 2012


Municipality of Breitenburg

Breitenburg Municipal Flag

[Breitenburg flag)] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 11 Jun 2006
approved 12 May 1990

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a white flag with a red stripe at the top- and bottom-edge. The municipal coat of arms is in the centre of the white stripe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Nov 2012

Breitenburg Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a red shield is a silver (=white) renaissance palace with four gables and a central tower. The palace stands on a green fess. The blue base is divided by two silver bars wavy.
Meaning:
Breitenburg Municipality of evolved from a real estate district (Gutsbezirk) having the same name. District and palace has been possessions of the counts of Rantzau since 1528. The palace was extended by Johann Rantzau, who had been the bailiff of the Danish Kings in the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein. The form depicted in the arms is known from paintings since 1590. The fess and the base are symbolizing wall and moat of the estate. Although being one of the strongest fortifications in Holstein, Breitenburg was conquered by Catholic general Wallenstein in 1627.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.105

The flag was approved on 12 May 1990. The coat of arms was approved on 18 March 1966. The artist is Paul Holtorf from Itzehoe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Nov 2012


Municipality of Lägerdorf

Lägerdorf Municipal Flag

[Lägerdorf flag)] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 12 Jun 2006
approved 30 January 1998

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The flag is divided by a sinister bendy line into green (hoist) and white (fly). The coat of arms is shifted to the hoist. The sinister bendy line in the arms is continued on the sheet to the top edge and to the bottom edge.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Nov 2012

Lägerdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per bend sinister. Above the field is eight times divided per fess wavy into silver (= white) and blue. Below in a green field is a half silver (= white) gear.
Meaning:
The wavy lines are symbolizing the primeval sea, that covered Lägerdorf. As a result today in this place are great deposits of chalkstone, which are the base of local economy. Due to technical progress cement industry developed in Lägerdorf in the 20th century. Source: Reißmann 1997, p.220

The flag was approved on 30 January 1998. The coat of arms was approved on 14 February 1939. The artist is Gustav Adolf Cloß from Berlin.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Nov 2012


Municipality of Münsterdorf

Münsterdorf Municipal Flag

[Münsterdorf flag)] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 8 Jun 2006
approved 6 February 1992

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The ratio is 3:5. It is a white flag with a blue stripe at the top- and bottom-edge. The municipal coat of arms is in the centre of the white stripe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Nov 2012

Münsterdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue field is a silver (= white) crozier flanked by two golden (= yellow) ears of grain. The base is five times divided per fess wavy into silver (= white) and blue.
Meaning:
The village had the name "Welanao" - i.e. wavy, wet meadow - in the early middle ages. Archbishop Edo of Reims established a base for his missionaries in this place in 822, but his efforts failed. When Ansgar, the apostle of the north, became archbishop of Hamburg in 834, he continued the work of Ebo and established a house of prayer, dedicated to St.Sixtus. Since then the name was changed, meaning "village with a monastery". The crozier is symbolizing the efforts of both archbishops. The grain is symbolizing prosperity by agriculture. The waves are symbolizing the Stör river and the old name of the village as well. Source: Reißmann 1997, p.245

The flag was approved on 6 February 1992. The coat of arms was approved on 18 July 1990. The artist is Lothar Leissner from Itzehoe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Nov 2012


Municipality ofOelixdorf

Oelixdorf Municipal Flag

[Oelixdorf flag)] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 4 Jun 2006
approved 24 November 1994

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a white flag with a green stripe at the top- and bottom-edge. The municipal coat of arms is in the centre of the white stripe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Nov 2012

Oelixdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a green field stands a silver (= white) beech tree on top of a hill of the same colour. The tree is flanked by two golden (= yellow) ears of grain. The base is divided by a blue fess wavy.
Meaning:
The green colour and the tree are symbolizing forestal riches. The tree on the hill is also alluding to numerous tomb hills in the area. The grain and the yellow colour are symbolizing the rual character, agriculture and prosperity. The fess wavy is symbolizing the riches of water. Source: Reißmann 1997, p.260

The flag was approved on 24 November 1994. The coat of arms was approved on 8 November 1990. The artist is Lothar Leissner from Itzehoe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Nov 2012


back to Steinburg cities and municipalities click here.