Last modified: 2016-10-01 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ilmkreis | quartered | eagle(black) | lion(yellow) | hen(black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 1/3 February 1995
Quartered black and yellow with the arms in the middle.
Source: Ulle 1999
Stefan Schwoon, 13 Mar 2001
Flag adopted on 1 February1995, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website (who quotes Ulle 1999 as reference). From Ralf Hartemink's webpage:
The arms were granted on February 3, 1995. The arms show parts of the arms of historical families or territories in the district. The golden lion is the lion of the Counts of Käfernburg-Schwarzburg, who had many possessions in the district, and who founded the city of Arnstadt. In 1343 they sold the Ilmenau estate to the Counts of Henneberg, whose canting arms are seen in the fourth quarter. The eagle is the arms of the city of Arnstadt, known since 1200.
Source: Linder and Olzog 1996.
back to index of Thuringia county-free cities and counties page click here