Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: moerlenbach | bells(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a plain white banner. The coat of arms is slightly shifted to the top.
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approval unknown
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 2 July 2006
Shield Gules, three bells Argent ordered 2:1.
Mörlenbach had been fortified before and had been mentioned as a city in 1461 up to the 17th century. A local seal from the 16th century displayed St. Bartholomew with his attributes knife and book. Otto Hupp fixed the colours as follows: shield Or, the saint dressed Argent and coated Azure, holding a knife Argent in his right and a book Gules in his left hand. These arms had been approved in 1926. Due to the simplicity of the current arms, which is heraldically considered the better way, the old arms were replaced. The colours of the current arms are those of the Archbishopric of Mainz and the Abbey of Lorsch. The bells refer to a legend from the 30-Years-War. Fearing marauders, the local people had hidden the bells in a pond, but they didn't find them never again.
The arms were approved in 1950.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.68
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 May 2017
back to Bergstraße Cities and Municipalities Page click here