This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Weinheim on Bergstraße (Germany)

Stadt Weinheim an der Bergstraße, Rhein-Neckar-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: weinheim(bergstr.) | lion(golden) | crowned | lozengy | wine conductor |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Weinheim (Bergstraße) city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Oct 2013
approved See also:

City of Weinheim on Bergstraße

Description of banner:
It is a white - (Bavarian-)blue vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 21 March 2004 alongside the streets of the city centre.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Oct 2013

Description of coat of arms:
The shield has a white fimbriation, like a narrow orle. The shield is tierced per pall. Above right is a golden (= yellow), sinister facing, rampant lion, crowned armed and tongued red. Above left the field is divided by lozenges, paly and sinister bendy, into silver (= white) and Bavarian blue. Below in a golden (= yellow) field is a red tool, the translation would literally vat conductor or wine conductor.
Meaning:
Around 1250 Palatine Count Otto founded the "new town" near a settlement core, which was later called the "old town". The sovereignty of the Palatine Counts began in 1264 and was completed in 1308. In 1803 the city was incorporated into Baden. The old arms of the city only displayed the charge below, the vat conductor, which appeared first on the oldest seal of the city, prints exist since 1337. The Palatine lion was added in the 2nd seal (prints since 1348) and was replaced by the lozenges of the Wittelsbach kin in 1434. Since the 16th century the seals contained all the three elements. When the city belonged to Baden, the conductor alone was displayed in the arms. It is obviously a canting element, but it was also used by the most important noble family in the city, the Schwende kin. The colours of the sheet are those of the Wittelsbach kin.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.111 and
Herwig John: "Kreis- und Gemeindewappen in Baden-Württemberg", vol. 2: "Die Kreis- und Gemeindewappen im Regierungsbezirk Karlsruhe", Stuttgart 1990

The coat of arms was confirmed in 1899.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Oct 2013


back to Rhein-Neckar cities and municipalities click here