This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Ladenburg (Germany)

Stadt Ladenburg, Rhein-Neckar-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ladenburg | castle | keys(crossed) | portcullis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Ladenburg city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Oct 2013 See also:

City of Ladenburg

Ladenburg City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a blue - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 21 March 2004 at the local town hall.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Oct 2013

Ladenburg City Banner

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per bend into silver over blue. The whole is superimposed by a red castle with two towers, black windows and an open gate with an ajar silver (= white) portcullis: Between the towers are two blue keys crossed per saltire.
Meaning:
Ladenburg was already a fortified town in the 12th century but gained no city rights in the Medieval. The oldest seal of the city from 1253 displays a castle, between the two towers two golden keys corossed per saltire. The keys are the symbol of the Bishopric of Worms, to which the city partially belonged until 1705, since 1400 as residence of the bishops. The composition was later placed on a shield and remained unchanged until 1705. In that year the city became part of the Palatinate and the shield was divided into silver and blue, the Palatine colours. At the same time the keys were changed into blue.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.62


Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Oct 2013


back to Rhein-Neckar cities and municipalities click here