This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Euskirchen County (Germany)

Kreis Euskirchen, Northrhine-Westphalia

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: euskirchen county | bannerhead | quartered | lion(black) | rose | cross(black) | fess(indented) | hammer | spindle | grain(ear) | bordure |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Euskirchen county banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Aug 2011
approved 31 October 1973 See also:

Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red - yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is placed into a white, squarish bannerhead.
Source: 2(1) of Hauptsatzung of Euskirchen county, version 11 November 2009
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Aug 2011

Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
It is a quarterly divided field. The 1st quarter shows three golden roses in a triangular order 2:1. The 2nd quarter shows a black, rampant lion armed and tongued red in a golden (= yellow) field. The 3rd quarter is a silver (= white) field divided by a black cross. The 4th quarter is a red field divided by a golden (= yellow) indented fess.
Meaning:
According to source the new arms represent the four main territories, which form the new county. The 1st quarter shows the roses of the counts of Arenberg; the 2nd quarter the lion of the dukes of Jülich, the 3rd quarter the cross of the archbishopric and electorate of Köln and the 4th quarter the arms of the counts of Manderscheid-Blankenheim.
Sources: Ralf Hartemink's webpage based upon Nagel 1986
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Aug 2011

Flag (1954-1973)


[Euskirchen county flag 1954] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jan 2014
approved 1954

Description of flag:
It was a white flag with a black bordure. The coat of arms was in the centre of the flag.
Source:Stadler 1964, p.33
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jan 2014

Coat of Arms (1954-1973)

Description of coat of arms:
In the centre of a green shield is a golden (= yellow), upright ear of grain, which is flanked by a silver (= white) hammer on the dexter side and a spindle of the same colour on the sinister side. The silver (= white) chief is divided by a facetted, black, throughout cross.
Meaning:
The charges below are symbolizing the main business lines. The hammer is representing mining, the grain agriculture and the spindle textiles industry. The chief displays the arms of the Archbishopric and Electorate of Köln. The archbishops were rulers of the biggest part of the county in the past.
The greater arms had two supporters; On the sinister side was a red lion, crowned golden (= yellow), representing the Lords of Monschau-Valkenburg, who granted the city rights to Euskirchen in 1302. On the dexter side a black lion, tongued red, representing the Dukes of Jülich, who also ruled parts of the county in the past.
Source:Stadler 1964, p.33
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jan 2014

The current banner and coat of arms were approved by Regierungspräsident Köln on 31 October 1973. The former flag was approved in 1954. The coat of arms was approved on 6 August 1948.


back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here