This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Waldkirch (Germany)

Stadt Waldkirch, Kreis Emmendingen, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: waldkirch | triple mount(doubled) | church | linden(branch) | oak(branch) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Waldkirch municipal banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jun 2013
approved 5 May 1976 See also:

City of Waldkirch

Waldkirch Municipal Banner

Description of banner:
It is a blue - yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jun 2013

Waldkirch Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
On top of a doubled, black triple mount stands a silver (= white) church with red roofs and a golden (= yellow) cross on top of its tower. Silver (= white) branches of linden (dexter) and oak (sinister come out of the mountain.
Meaning:
Waldkirch gained city rights in 1300 from the Lords of Schwarzenberg. The first seal of the town, dating from around 1300 shows in the upper part a canting picture; a church between linden and oak leaves (Waldkirch = wood church). The lower part showed the six black hills of the arms of the Lords of Schwarzenberg . These arms were used until 1634, when the arms were changed into the arms below, which were officially approved in 1968. These arms had a green base, superimposed by three silver (= white) trees and a church with two towers, flanked by two more trees. After the merger with other municipalities the current pattern was adopted, based upon the oldest seal, with colours derived from the oldest known coloured image, dating from 1588.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.108

Banner and coat of arms were approved on 5 May 1976 by the county administration, published in GABl 313/1977. Old banner and coat of arms were approved on 5 August 1968 by minister of interior of Baden-Württemberg, published in GABl 135/1969.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jun 2013


back to Emmendingen cities and municipalities click here