This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Kenzingen (Germany)

Stadt Kenzingen, Kreis Emmendingen, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: kenzingen | fess(silver) | fish | chief | wing |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Kenzingen city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Jun 2013 See also:

City of Kenzingen

Kenzingen City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a blue - red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 4 July 2004 at a crossroads out of Kenzingen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Jun 2013

Kenzingen Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pale. The dexter side displays a red field divided by a silver (= white) fess. The sinister side displays two blue addorsed fish in a silver (= white) shield. The shield has a blue chief superimposed by a silver (= white) wing.
Meaning:
Kenzingen gained city rights in 1249, granted by the Lords of Üsenberg. In 1354 it became a dominion of the Dukes of Austria. The earliest seal, dating from 1280, shows only St. Peter and two keys, the patron saint and his symbols. Later seals from 1287 and 1692 display a walled city and two towers, with the arms of Üsenberg (the wing) placed between the towers. In 1692 the two fish were added to the arms; these represent the importance of fishing in the Elz and Rhein Rivers in the past. The Austrian fess was added in 1742. The current pattern appeared first in 1898 and was improved in 1960.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.57
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Jun 2013


back to Emmendingen cities and municipalities click here