This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Eichsfeld County (Thuringia, Germany)

Landkreis Eichsfeld

Last modified: 2016-10-01 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: eichsfeld county | landkreis eichsfeld | coat of arms: eagle (red) | coat of arms: wheel (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Eichsfeld County (Thuringia, Germany)] 5:2
image by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 22 March 1995


See also:


Description

The Eichsfeld [meaning 'field of oak trees'] belonged to the Archbishopric of Mainz for a long time — hence the wheel. Following the territorial changes of the Napoleonic times it was split between Hanover and the Prussian province of Saxony — hence the red eagle [of Brandenburg]. In 1945 the Prussian part was allocated to Thuringia, the other part is today a part of the county Göttingen in Lower Saxony. The flag is white-red with the arms.
Sources: Ulle 1999
Stefan Schwoon, 12 March 2001

Flag adopted 22 March 1995, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. From Ralf Hartemink: The arms show the eagle of Brandenburg with the wheel of Mainz on its breast. A large part of the district belonged from the 9th century until 1802 to the State of Mainz. After 1802 the area belonged to the Prussian province of Brandenburg. The combination of the two symbols was first mentioned in 1817, when the arms were added to the great arms of the Kings of Prussia as the 32nd field (of 48).
Source: "Wappen und Siegel der Städte und Gemeinden des Landkreises Eichsfeld", edited by Kultur und Sportamt des Landkreises Eichsfeld, Duderstadt 1997.
Santiago Dotor, 20 February 2002


back to index of Thuringia county-free cities and counties page click here