Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: aschaffenburg county | alzenau county | chief | oak(leaf) | bend sinister(silver) | annulets(3) | wheel | crozier | chevrons(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1972, p.111
Stefan Schwoon, 8 Oct 2001
The coat of arms was approved in 1967 and displays a charge symbolizing the nature of the Spessart region: oak leaves, the wheel of Mainz and the arms of the Lords of Mespelbrunn. The capital of the county was one of the major cities and strongholds of the bishops of Mainz. The arms of the Lords of Mespelbrunn were added as the important bishop Julius of Würzburg (bishop from 1573-1617) belonged to this family.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.111
Santiago Dotor, 27 Jan 2004
Red-white-blue. The county was integrated into Aschaffenburg county in the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1966, p.99
Stefan Schwoon, 14 Aug 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 23 March 1965. A large part of the county, around the city of Alzenau, was from 1500-1736 a free area, jointly governed by the Archbishops of Mainz and the Counts of Hanau. This is shown in the upper half with the wheel of Mainz and the red chevrons of the Counts of Hanau. The lower part symbolises the abbeys of St.Peter and Alexander in Aschaffenburg and Seligenstadt, which had many estates in the county.. The colours below are those of Bavaria.
Source: Stadler 1966, p.99
Santiago Dotor, 15 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here