Last modified: 2012-03-31 by andrew weeks
Keywords: velka polom | linden |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Number of inhabitants by 31.12. 2000: 1571. The first written trace
dates back to 15 May 1288. The village is situated in a bulge of the Nízké
Jeseníky mountains on halfway between Opava and Ostrava on the E11 road.
Since the foundation the village was in possession of Premonstratensians
from Hradiště u Olomouce. Then, it became possession of the family of Donát.
The post office in the village was opened as early as under Emperor Josef
II. In 1872 a primary school, being one of the most modern in Silesia,
was built in the village. A nursery was opened in 1918. Nitre was mined
until 1864. In 1870, a brewery was founded in the village. In the 20th
the brewery was replaced with a distillery. In 1945 the village was almost
completely destroyed and built again. Sights in the village include the
church (kostel sv.Václava). Next to the church there is the oldest linden
Source: this website.
Jarig Bakker, 21 Apr 2002.