Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: kovalovice |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The town name is connected with its location. Three blacksmith shops stood along the significant, old "Silesian route" leading from Brno to Poland. These blacksmith shops were frequently used by carriers who travelled with goods along this route. The origins of the name Kovalovice stem from the horseshoeing trade (in Czech, kováč - kovář - koval).
In the past, Kovalovice used to be sold like goods. In 1210, Lev of Klobouky gave Kovalovice to Zábrdovský Monastery. At the close of the 14th Century, the town fell into the hands of Vildenberk Castle aristocracy. Púta of Vildenberk sold Kovalovice to the Margrave John of Luxembourg. His son, Jošt, gave the inherited Kovalovice to Peter of Kravaře and Plumlov in 1402. Afterwards, Kovalovice changed hands many times. A period worth mentioning is that when Kovalovice was in the possession of Hynek Pavlovský of Vidbach, who built a stronghold there in the mid 16th Century. The stronghold stood where "Na tvrzi" now stands. In 1563, Hynek Pavlovský sold the fortified village to Albrecht Černohorský of Boskovice. Albrecht Černohorský then added Kovalovice to the Pozořické estate. In 1604, the entire Pozořické estate fell into the hands of the Lords of Lichtenštejn. A 30 year war was an ensuing disaster for Kovalovice. Only 23 buildings remained of the original 45 after the war ended. Another difficult period in the town's history was 1852, when almost the entire village was burned to the ground, and only 7 buildings were saved. In ancient times, Kovalovice citizens had a widespread reputation, mainly because of their blacksmith's trade, but also because they grew the best barley and anise in the entire region. Anise, sometimes also known as pimpernel, was grown in this country until 1891. In the Middle Ages, it was used as an efficient remedy against the plague and cholera. Despite this, Kovalovice citizens were striken by cholera several times. 99 people died during the epidemics of 1836, 1849, and 1866.
In the past, the whole village was surrounded by ponds. These ponds led from the village mill to Vildenberk Castle. The first one was located directly behind the mill, the second one was in Potočiny, and the last two were in the castle vicinity. At the village's lower end, the pond reached toward the Bahňák Mill. From the mill, the pond turned into marshlands, which were drained in 1903. Many wild ducks nested at the ponds. This is why a duck also appears on the Kovalovice Coat of Arms. The village seal includes the Coat of Arms (with a wild duck), surrounded by the words DIEDINA KOWALOWICE.
In the 1720's, a new "Imperial" road was built to join Kovalovice with Holubice. This road was used by postal carriers who transported letters as well as people. Efficient letter delivery was ensured by courier post. At first, the postal carriage delivered irregularly, but in 1750 a regular service was established between Brno and Olomouc. The courier service, which was owned by the aristocracy, was very profitable. An inheritable post office was, at that time, owned by many aristocratic families. In 1785, a private inheritable mediation post office was founded outside the village, along the Imperial road, for the district lying between Brno and Vyškov. A tollbooth and pub were built at the same place, and were frequented by postal couriers from as far away as Slavkov and Bučovice. It is still called "Na staré poště" (the Old Post Office). On 28 November 1805, in the last days prior to the Battle of the Three Emperors, the evening military marshal meeting was held there, in the presence of Napoleon himself. Napoleon also spent the night there.
Based on the most recent information available, there are 186 buildings
and 725 citizens residing in Kovalovice.
Source: pupils of the Slapanice gymnasium.
Jarig Bakker, 31 Jul 2004