This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Barichara (Santander, Colombia)

Last modified: 2014-05-16 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: santander | barichara | guanenta |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




image by Ivan Sache, 28 July 2008



See also:


Overview

Flag and Coat of Arms of Barichara (Santander, Colombia) at <www.barichara-santander.gov.co>. Text in Spanish:
"Celeste: Color que como navegante de este mundo nos agita un aliento de ternura y ensueño en el más allá. Armoniosa franja que representa en la Bandera el cielo primaveral y un manto de Maria Santísima, como Madona del Pueblo
Amarillo: Color que bulle en Barichara por doquier estando el los retablos del templo, en  las piedras y el las flores de sus árboles y jardines; además el astro rey es más amarillo aquí, al reflejarse en sus calles adoquinadas; color que simboliza en nuestra insignia, el color de la tierra, encarnado de ahí el remoquete de “patiamarillo”.
La Estrella: El Centro Poblado Guane, que fue incorporado a la estratificación urbana de Barichara.
El Verde de Esmeralda: Color de la esperanza del ser viviente, por corresponder al virtuoso ropaje de la naturaleza, el cual viste de gala nuestro perdón, como expresión del zócalo de casar, y de la singular esplendente esmeralda de sus campos de labranza. El sesgo de su franja simboliza la idiosincrasia de los nacidos en esta tierra, al aparecer por doquiera atravesados en todos los momentos estelares del moldear y conformar los destinos de nuestra nacionalidad colombiana. La estrella representa a su corregimiento de Guane."
Felipe Carillo, 10 July 2008

The municipality of Barichara (232 sq. km; 1,336 m asl ) is located 120 km south-west of Bucaramanga and 445 km north-east of Bogotá. The first settlement on the site of Barichara grew up around a chapel built in 1702 on a place where an image of the Blessed Virgin has appeared on a limestone. The village was officially founded on 29 January 1705 as village #12 in the Guanes' territory. The title of vice-parish was granted to the village on 15 February 1714. On 30 July 1751, Don Pedro Azúa, Archbishop of Santa Fé, granted the title of parish of "Nuestra Señora de la Concepción de Barichara y San Lorenzo Mártir" to the village. In 1975, Barichara was elected "el pueblito más lindo de Colombia” (the nicest little village in Colombia). Decree # 1654 of 3 August 1978 proclaimed the village "Monumento Nacional" (National Monument).
Official description of the symbols: - Blue represents the spring sky and the coat of the Blessed Virgin, the patron saint of the village; - Yellow is common in Barichera in the church altarpieces, stones and tree and garden flowers; yellow is also the colour of the sun, reflected on the paved streets of the village; finally, yellow is the emblem of the village, as the colour of the soil, the source of the nickname of "Patiamarillo" given to the villagers; - The star represents the central borough of Guane, incorporated into the colonial village; - Emerald green represents hope and the colour of the agricultural fields.   The municipal coat of arms is surmonted by a scroll horizontally divided blue-yellow-green.
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2008


Coat of Arms


image from <www.barichara-santander.gov.co>