This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Edson, Alberta (Canada)

Yellowhead County

Last modified: 2017-05-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: alberta | edson |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



Edson image by Ivan Sache, 30 April 2017


See also:


Description of the flag

The Town of Edson is found on the Yellowhead Highway between Edmonton and Jasper. The history of the town notes that the community was once named Heatherwood. "The name was changed around 1911 in honour of Edson Joseph Chamberlin, vice-president of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. Local history maintains that Edson (Heatherwood) was built in its current location because it was the first level spot after Wolf Creek. (The land at Wolf Creek was quickly bought up after the announcement of plans to develop a town there, which rendered it uneconomical for the railway.) When Edson was declared the local rail centre, smaller communities such as Rosevear (abandoned), Wolf Creek, Carrot Creek and Niton Junction fell into a decline that continues today.
- http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WME14E_Municipal_Flag_Edson_Alberta
Vanja Poposki, 16 July 2012

The flag is a Canadian pale, blue-white-blue, with the town shield in the centre.