Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | nova europa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
15 December 2012
Based on: http://guinnessbrasil.blogspot.de/2007/12/ciclista-recordista-chega-nova-europa.html
A blue flag, with a white-bordered red saltire, and in the centre a white rectangle bearing the municipal arms.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 15 December 2012
Nova Europa is located in a region known in the 18th century as Araraquara Outback. In 1815, Colonel Joaquim José Pinto de Moraes Leme was awarded the domain of Cambuy, located between rivers Mogi and Tiête. The domain was inherited by his niece Dona Brites Maria Pinto Gavião, who kept it undivided. Short before her death in 1876, she appointed her nephew Bernardo Avelino Gavião Peixoto as her sole legatee. Lacking money, Peixoto has to sell parts of the domain; on 31 October 1906, he offered pieces of land to the State government, which established by Decree No. 1,432 of 12 January 1907 the colonial nucleus of Nova Europa, Nova Paulicéia and Gavião Peixoto. The district of Nova Europa, with its seat at the railway station of the Dourado Railway, was established on 30 December 1913 by Law No. 1,409. Law No. 2,085 of 18 December 1825 incorporated the district to the municipality of Tabatinga. The municipality of Nova Europa was established on 30 December 1953 by Law No. 2,456.
The flag of Nova Europe is blue with a white-red-white saltire. In the middle of the flag is placed a white rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms.
(Other) photos of the flag:
The coat of arms of Nova Europa is "A Samnitic shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent. Azure a fess wavy argent in chief the arms of Western Germany 'Argent an eagle sable', in base the arms of Spain 'Argent an eagle sable charged with a quartered escutcheon, of classical Flemish-Iberic style, surmounted by a Royal Crown and showing the arms of Leon, Navarra and Castile. A chief argent a flaming heart gules. The shield surrounded by sugarcanes. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the toponym 'Nova Europa' surrounded by the years '1907' and '1953' all argent."
The arms of Germany and Spain make the arms canting, since the
colonial nucleus was established by German and Spanish colonists.
http://www.novaeuropa.sp.gov.br/index.php/historia - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 16 December 2012