Last modified: 2013-01-01 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | bady bassitt |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 23 September 2012
A yellow flag with a large blue butterfly centred and a blue star on either side.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 23 September 2012
Bady Bassitt was settled in the last decade of the 19th century. The
Borá and Campo estates, owned by Manoel Antonio da Silva, were
separated by a brook named Borboleta (in Portuguese, "a butterfly")
for the great number of butterflies living there. The village that
developed nearby was named Borboleta, too.
In 1908, a road was built between Borboleta and São José do Rio Preto;
Camilo Apolinário de Morais established in 1912 the first shop in the
village. In 1914, Manoel Antonio da Silva offered a piece of land
where the chapel of São Sebastião de Borboleta was established on 13
February 1914. He was officially recognized as the founder of the town
by Municipal Law of 25 April 1974. The district of Borboleta was
established by Law No. 2,171-A of 28 December 1926, as part of the
municipality of São José do Rio Preto.
The municipality of Borboleta was established by State Law No. 5,285
of 18 February 1959, and renamed Bady Bassitt by State Law No. 8,092
of 28 February 1964. Bady Bassitt was a Representative of São José do
Rio Preto constituency at the São Paulo State Assembly.
The flag is a simplified banner of the municipal arms, which are "Or a
butterfly surrounded by two stars in base a fess wavy all azure in
chief three arrows gules crossed per saltire. The shield surmounted by
a mural crown argent masoned and ports sable. The shield supported
dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a plant of maize the two
proper. Below the shield a scroll azure surrounded by rice panicles
proper and inscribed with the motto 'LUCET PER SE' in letters or."
http://www.badybassitt.sp.gov.br/simbolos/index.asp - Municipal website
The explanation of the arms is not given, but the meaning of most elements is quite straightforward. The butterfly, recalling the original name of the place, makes the arms canting. The arrows must represent St. Sebastian, the patron saint of the town. The fess wavy must represent brook Borboleta or another watercourse of local significance. The two stars might represent the two estates originally separated by brook Borboleta.
Photos of the flag:
On the flags in use, the colours appear to match those of the Brazilian flag.
The flag of the Municipal Council of Bady Bassitt is prescribed by
Municipal Decree No. 117 of 19 August 2011. The flag is kept in the
Honor Room of the Municipal Council.
The flag is diagonally divided blue-yellow by a white bend sinister
charged with the writing "CÂMARA MUNICIPAL" in blue letters. The
municipal coat of arms is placed in canton.
http://camarabadybassitt.sp.gov.br/Imprensa/Noticia.aspx?nid=1123 - Website of the Municipal Council
Ivan Sache, 31 December 2012