Last modified: 2014-10-18 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | almirante tamandaré do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Paulo RS Menezes, 2
The municipality of Almirante Tamandaré do Sul (2,062 inhabitants in
2010, 26,537 ha) is located in north-eastern Rio Grande do Sul, 315 km
of Porto Alegre. The municipality is made of the village of Almirante Tamandaré do Sul and of the districts of Rincăo do Segredo and Linha Vitória. Almirante Tamandaré do Sul was colonized in 1914. The settlement was named for Admiral Tamandaré (Joaquim Marques Lisboa; 1807-1897), the patron of the Brazilian Navy; this was suggested by a colonist who had participated in the mediation regarding the territory at the end of the Paraguayan War (1864-1870). The subsequent colonization involved 50% Germans and 50% Italians. The municipality of Almirante Tamandaré do Sul was established on 16 April 1996.
The symbols of Almirante Tamandaré do Sul are prescribed in Article 4 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 6 September 2001, as "the coat of arms, the flag and the anthem, representative of its culture and history, compliant with the legislation that prescribes and regulates them.
http://www.tamandaredosul.com.br/system/filemanager/file_system/lei_84_1283177365.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 27 of 10 April 2001, retroactive to 1 January 2001. The flag is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. White is a symbol of peace, friendship, integration, work, and community harmony.
The coat of arms is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 26 of 10 April 2001, retroactive to 1 January 2001. The coat of arms is made of a Portuguese shield, surmounted by four towers and divided into three horizontal sectors. The first sector represents [on its left part] the industries and agro-industries established in the municipality, symbolizing its natural vocation, and [on its right part] the electricity network, symbolizing the vocation of the municipality for electricity production, especially through the Mata Cobra barrage erected in the place of the same name. The yellow background represents the local sources of income. The second sector represents [on its left part] the diversified races and cultures present in the municipality, perfectly integrated, which contributed to the ethnical building of the municipality, and [on its right part] the vocation of the municipality for ecotourism with sustainable development of fauna and flora, highlighted in the main tourist's spot called Fonte de Segredo*, a place of leisure, culture, and quality of life. The white background represents peace and harmony and the perfect integration of man and its natural environment. The third sector symbolizes the resources provided by the cattle-breeding vocation of the municipality, especially milk production and breeding of bovines, pigs, gallinaceans, etc. The green background represents the main source of income for the municipality, agriculture. Beneath the shield is placed the name of the municipality, "ALMIRANTE TAMANDARÉ DO SUL" [ in black letters], and, beneath, a yellow scroll charged with the official date of municipal emancipation [1996 16 DE ABRIL 1996], in black characters. The Portuguese shield is surrounded by soybean [upper left side], maize [lower left and right sides], and wheat [upper right side], the main crops in the municipality and the symbol of the large crop production.
*Fonte de Segredo (lit., the Secret Source) produces the mineral water commercialized under the brand of "Valle Azul" (Blue Valley). Production was authorized on 10 February 1999 by the National Department of Mineral Production. The water is alkaline (pH 9.52), particularly rich in vanadium (0.055 mg.L-1) and fluorides (0.22 mg.L-1), and poor in sodium (30.960 mg.L-1). The source is supplied by the Guarani aquifer, considered as the biggest on Earth, which offers a on capacity is 1 million litres of water per day.
http://valleazul.com.br - Valle Azul water website
Ivan Sache, 3 September 2014
image by Paulo RS Menezes, 2